There are game specific list of rules found in the back inside cover of the 2018 League Score Book. Please refer to those rules on the field.
The following rules are taken from the Tri County By-Laws:
ARTICLE VIII Competition
A. Scheduled Games
1. The Tri County Fastpitch League will schedule 18 and Under, 14 and Under and 10 and Under games on Tuesday and Thursdays. These games may be rescheduled by mutual agreement of the respective coaches.
2. The Tri County Fastpitch League will schedule 16 and Under, and 12 and Under games on Monday and Wednesdays. These games may be rescheduled by mutual agreement of the respective coaches.
3. Double header games (all levels) will begin at 6:00PM unless another starting time has been agreed on by both teams. Double header games shall be seven (7) innings. No new inning shall begin after 65 minutes of play following the first pitch. Single games shall be (7) innings, no new inning shall begin after 90 minutes of play. Games must be a minimum of 3 innings, or 2 ½ innings if home team is ahead. 1 or 2 inning games will not count toward seeding. The rescheduled game shall play a complete new game and not where the inning left off during the postponed game. Coaches must decide on the field if the game will be rescheduled.
4. Tiebreak rules are used starting the 8th inning with the last batter on 2nd. However, no new inning can start after 65 minutes, and league games can end with a tie. These are doubleheader games and it is the responsibility of the umpire to keep the games going in order to complete both games.
5. Any team not in attendance fifteen minutes after the established game time will forfeit the game. Teams not in attendance within an additional 15 minutes will forfeit the second game.
6. During a league contest, any team ahead by 15 runs after 3 innings, 12 runs after 4 and 8 runs after 5 innings of play shall be declared the winner and the game is complete.
7. On deck batters will be placed to the back of the batter for safety purposes.
8. The Host team will be the home team during the first game of double headers, the opponent will be the home team for the second game. Each team is required to provide one new and one used game ball per double header.
9. 10U Specific: All levels of 10U follow the same rules as the older age groups with the following exceptions:
a. Teams are limited to 5 runs per half inning. The last batter to bat, if they were not out or were not a part of the 5th run, i.e. got a hit or walked then they will be first up to bat the following inning.
b. Use an 11” ball.
c. 35' pitching distance
d. All 10U will play one double header, 65 minute games on Thursday night until school is out. Tuesday and Thursday night double headers will begin after the school year has ended.
10. All Tri County League teams are required to play ½ of the approved schedule for weeks during the summer season. This is required as won/loss record determines seeding.
11. Teams can move play dates on other nights to facilitate multiple team schedules.
12. Steel cleats to be allowed at 14U, 16U and 18U.
13. 43' pitching distance for 14U, 16U and 18U. 40' for 12U and 35' for 10U and 8U.
14. New Rule 2016. Make as an option. 5 run rule at 12U C . If proposed before the game and mutually agreed upon by the coaches. This will be for league play only.
B. Postponed Games
1. Teams needing a postponement shall notify the opponent at least 24 hours prior to the game. Umpires shall be notified by the host team.
2. The home team shall notify the opponent and the umpires as soon as possible if field conditions warrant a postponement. A fee may be charged if the call does not reach the umpire prior to the game start.
3. Until game time the home team coach may postpone the game for unplayable conditions. After game time the umpire shall decide if the field is playable.
4. The rescheduled game shall play a complete new game and not where the inning left off during the postponed game.
5. Postponed games shall be made up within a reasonable time. If an impasse develops, the League Director shall have the authority to set a game date and time. If either team cannot play, the team in attendance at the rescheduled place and time shall be declared a forfeit winner.
C. No Shows
1. A team must contact their opponent by 4:00 PM on game day if they are not able to play. Failure to do so results in a "Forfeit due to no show." This will be recorded as a 7-0 win. Any team forfeiting three league night games will be ineligible to play in the league qualifying tournament.
1. Associations are required to provide sanctioned umpires for teams involved in “A” at 18U, 16U “A” and “B”, and 14 and Under “A” Leagues. The Host Association shall obtain trained umpires for all other games. The Tri County League does not require the use of a specific umpire organization.
2. If not sanctioned, the umpire shall not be the husband or wife of a coach.
3. If not sanctioned, the umpire shall not be under 16 years of age for games in the 14U Tier 2 and 3 age groups.
4. Umpires are expected to enforce all playing rules. This includes the administration of the casual profanity rule, the “No Taunting” rule and the “Blood Rule.”
1. All equipment shall meet the specification as described in the USA Softball Fastpitch Guidelines.
2. The home team will supply one “new” and “very good” ball for their home game. During doubleheaders each team is responsible for game balls when they are playing as home team.
3. The Host team will be the home team during the first game of doubleheaders; the opponent will be the home team for the second game.
4. ASA approved Yellow optic balls will be used for all games.
ARTICLE IX League Tournament
A. All Tournaments will be conducted as double elimination tournaments. Age levels with more than 32 teams shall have a consolation tournament for teams that are winless (0-2) in their first two games. Age levels with more than 48 teams will have a single elimination brackets to determine 48 seeded teams.
B. The Tri County Fastpitch league will furnish umpires and game balls.
C. Tournament Seeding
1. League record for all teams will be used to seed the teams using the cutoff dates listed on appendix 1.
2. Representatives will check a record of their game for on-line seeding on the dates listed on Appendix 1.
3. Teams will report scores to the Tri County web site. On-line seeding requires all the teams to report their season results and participate in creating the pool for tournament competition. All Teams will know their opponent and the time and location of their first Tournament game during the on-line seeding, all questions or concerns must be addressed the evening of on-line seeding, and the game times are final.
4. All teams are required to play at least ½ of the scheduled weekly games, and all teams will be seeded by won/loss record and the team is responsible to make sure the record reported is correct..
5. Ties will be broken by the flip of a coin (incoming seeding procedure only).
6. Once seeded, the draw will be done according to a standard tournament bracket.
D. Tournament games are timed at 70 minutes or 7 innings. However, no new inning may start after 70 minutes. The tie breaker rule shall be used after 7 innings or in the top of the first new inning after time expires. Last batter out is placed on second base beginning the first inning after 70 minutes. Games shall be played until a winner is decided on the field of play.
E. In the event of delays due to inclement weather or extenuating circumstances:
1. The tournament director is empowered to shorten game times to no less than 45 minutes.
2. Games suspended after 3 complete innings or 2 ½ innings if the home team is ahead, which are not tied, may be declared complete games by the tournament director.
3. Every effort must be made to complete the tournament however if playing conditions are untenable, the tournament director is empowered to cancel the tournament. (see Article X for state seeding rules in this eventuality).
F. ALL 10U and 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U at B and C levels bat the roster. At 14U, 16U and 18U at A levels bat 9 (DP/Flex)
G. Run rule applies. 15 runs after 3 innings, 12 runs after 4 and 8 runs after 5 innings. Following USA Softball run rule.
H. Home team shall be determined by coin toss.
ARTICLE X State Tournament Berths
A. State Tournament berths are based on the number of entries granted the Tri County Fastpitch League by the State Tournament Organizers.
B. Assignment to the State tournament will be made following the Tri County Tournament. State tournament packets will be distributed at the Tri County Tournament if available.
C. Teams will be awarded state entries based on their finish in the Tri County Tournament. Multiple teams finishing the tournament in the same round will be awarded state tournament berth's in order of incoming seed number.
D. In the event of Tri County Tournament cancellation the state tournament seeding procedure shall be:
1. If no tournament games could be completed, state tournament berth's shall be awarded in order of incoming seed number.
2. If some games are complete, state tournament berths shall be awarded in order of:
a. Teams still in the winner's bracket in order of their incoming seed number. For incomplete games, both teams are considered to still be in the winner's bracket.
b. Teams still in the losers bracket in order of their incoming seed number. For incomplete games, both teams are considered to still be in the loser's bracket.
c. Teams with 2 losses and at least 1 win in order of what round their second loss occurred followed by incoming seed number.
d. Teams still in the consolation bracket in order of their incoming seed number. For incomplete games, both teams are considered to still be in the consolation bracket.
e. Teams with 3 losses and no wins in order of their incoming seed number.